Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Everything happens for a reason?

(Charlie, 14 months)

















I've used the term, 'everything happens for a reason' without thinking about what it really meant, for as long as I can remember. Usually it's my answer to things like break-ups or losing jobs...and quite often I've said it for lack of a better answer. But, I would like to think the universe has a plan for us all and it's our path no matter how hard we try to deviate from it, and it's filled with only the best intentions. But, if that's actually the case, then why would we have to suffer through cancers, abuse, divorces, homelessness, war, poverty, natural disasters...and Charlie being sick?

When Charlie was first diagnosed and we were told she probably only had a few months to live, there was absolutely NO way I was thinking, 'everything happens for a reason' on the contrary, I was thinking something more like, "f*ck you universe! you suck and you're evil!" But, as time goes on (and of course, it helps that she's still here, and I could and probably will change my tune in the future) I can sometimes begin to believe that 'everything happens for a reason' again...but only on the good days. It's still mean, and it still hurts, but sometimes I think I'm getting it. My life has more meaning, and I'm a better person because of her...and, I have to believe that it's all happening for a reason.

We were out for dinner tonight with our friends, Mike, Kim, and Dana. Kim and I started talking about this, 'everything happens for a reason' theory, and we were both pretty much on the same page regarding it. I trust that Kim knows what she's talking about because she lost her mother to cancer several years ago after taking care of her for months, while her mother struggled painfully through her final days. If she says she can still believe things happen for reason, it really gives me hope. She's been there... she's hurt so bad, and felt like her mother was stolen from her way too early, but she's come through it with a changed perspective and a beautiful outlook on why these things happen sometimes, and she uses her situation and pain to relate to and empathize with others (such as myself and Matt) in similar situations ...and I feel immense relief just knowing that it's possible to lose someone and miss them dearly, and still carry on.

I would not be who I am today if it were not for Charlie. She came here to teach me and Matt and YOU about ourselves, and to show us what's important, and what we're all capable of. My friend Cindy called me the other day after she'd read the newspaper article about the Adventure Challenge and the fundraising me and my team mates were doing for Canuck Place. Cindy told me she was proud of me and reminded me of how, when she came over shortly after Charlie's diagnosis, I had said to her, "I'm not one of those mothers that fights with the teachers or doctors to get the best care for my child, I'm not the type to 'do something' ". I did say that. But, I had underestimated the power of the mother/child bond. I have since 'fought' with doctors, and I have since raised awareness about SMA, and...I'm doing a TRIATHLON for a children's hospice on Saturday! Who am I?! I don't even recognize myself anymore, but I like this Cherie more than the one that existed before Charlie. It's bittersweet though. I'd take the old Cherie and a healthy Charlie over this 'new and improved' Cherie and sick (but GORGEOUS!) Charlie, any day!

And so continues my love/hate relationship with 'everything happening for a reason'.


8 comments:

  1. (teary, but...) i ♥♥♥ this post. as beautiful as your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We never know how we will react and respond when we're faced with adversity, and it is amazing to know that you are such a strong mother when you the situation came your way. Your attitude and outlook on life is amazing and I respect you very much. Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a love/love relationship with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha!! Love Charlie's tat!! She's so precious and I agree with you Cherie....things happen for a reason. We may not always understand the reasons why but they always seem to work out. It's amazing how such a sweet little angel can touch so many lives. Your courage continues to amaze me and the pictures of you and Charlie are just beautiful!........Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are amazing. I love your writing. There is a reason for this - time gives it to us.

    Meralon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Maralon... I love your writing. And I also think "everything happens for a reason" ...Unfortunetly its during the " everything" that we hate it... and the "reason" why we understand /love it... stay strong Cherie.. you are inspiring as a person/mother.. etc.. :) xo from us

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear sweet Cherie, whether you know it or not, you've answered your own question in your post.

    I've lived a lot of years & have learned that sometimes you get a short burst of sunlight that descends from the clouds & lights a path & then is gone. Although that exquisite sunbeam appears for only a very short time, it shows us our path & lights our way. Our lives are always the better for it.

    Enjoy every moment that comes your way, for those are like stardust which sprinkles our lives with preciousness beyond words.


    Hugs

    Linda xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've just stumbled across your blog....I have felt it too....although I have hated it when people have said it to me when referring to the death of my beloved husband. I have searched for a reason. At times, I can't see any reason....But often, there are little moments that wouldn't be possible if I could still hold him close. Things I've learned. People I've met. Moments I've held dear. Like sparkles in the frosty grass. It's cold and it has the ability to wreck fledgling seedlings...but there is a glimmer. A beauty....and somewhere there is a reason for it.
    I will check back again and see how you and Charlie are. All the very best.....

    ReplyDelete