Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Christmas miracle.

(Charlie, 17 months)













We've been home for a couple of weeks, and now that some of the dust has settled, I'm actually beginning to get pretty excited about Christmas. We have the tree up, the stockings hung, and Matt and I have our differences aside. Christmas is about love and family, and Charlie is that to both of us, so we're focusing on her....and honestly, it's not really hard to do, she's easy to lose ourselves in.

Charlie has been astounding us as of lately...again. After two back to back colds, and many close calls, Charlie is doing things she's never done before...things we were told she'd never do. It was last year on Christmas day that Matt and I took Charlie to emergency at Children's hospital because her motor skills had gone from GREAT to GONE in about six weeks time. Charlie had never really moved her legs or bared weight on them since birth. I had googled 'my baby doesn't bare weight on her legs' many times, and was always relieved to see that this was a common worry among many mothers and that everything was going to be fine. So, I'd stuff my worries back down and convince myself I was just being a nervous first time mother. It was when we started noticing that Charlie was no longer doing the things she used to, that we really began to worry.

As I've said before, when Charlie was diagnosed we were told she most likely only had a few months to live, Charlie had gone downhill so fast that the doctors just thought that if she continued at that pace, she would be gone within months. BUT, we're happy to report that, one year later, Charlie has not only leveled out, but she has IMPROVED in many areas! She is flailing her arms, wiggling her bum, and moving her legs and feet, something she NEVER did before (unless she was in water)...I've been calling it a Christmas miracle! This all started in the summer, but keeps getting better and better. Every time Charlie gets a cold and we see how sick she can get, it sucks the hope out of us, and then we get home and she starts doing something new and improved, and it not only fills up the old hole where the hope used to be, but it creates a new one, one that makes us dream bigger and better for Charlie.

SO, on Monday I went for dinner with my 'angel' and her daughter. I met her at my gym last year and we became friends and she did the Canuck Place Adventure Challenge with me. She's a very interesting woman who's been AMAZING to me. She has supported me and Charlie in many ways, and I'm very thankful to have met her. At dinner the other night she invited me to join her and her daughter, who is my age and is also amazing, in HAWAII on Jan 1st! I came home worked it out with Matt and the nurses, and I'm going! I am REALLY looking forward to it!

This week, life is good.


A video of Charlie 'dancing'.


video

9 comments:

  1. Wow that is a miracle! I think when they say music and love can heal the body, I believe it's true. Merry Christmas Charlie and a Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, I bet you can watch that video over and over again. So amazing! Enjoy Hawaii, I've been twice in the last 2 years and it has become my favourite beach destination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Christmas Miracle indeed! Way to go Charlie, you're gonna show this world what Angels are really made of!
    Thanks Cherie, for sharing the video and your continued journey with us...you are blessed and we are humbled.
    Blessings of love, joy & peace be with you - always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so so beautiful! love that smile she does at you!
    Christmas is such a special time of year. enjoy it with your sweet family and woo hoo for hawaii. that'll be great :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow thats amazing shows u never loose hope what a special girl Charlie is..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww.....she's really amazing. Love the video and picture. She looks like such a joy to be around. Miracle indeed! Enjoy your trip to Hawaii. Sounds like a ton of fun!!

    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to see things are looking better Cherie! The video is adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete